Photo: Earl Gardner
A little bit of 2013 came early on Thursday with the news that Sebastien Le Toux has been reacquired by the Union in a trade with New York Red Bulls that saw an undisclosed amount of allocation money and Costa Rican forward Josue Martinez headed up I-95 in exchange for the all-time leading Union goalscorer and fan favorite.
Said Le Toux, “It feels great, this is probably one of the best days of my year right now. I am very happy to get back with this team. I just want to the team to succeed and I love to play in front of these fans here. And yeah if everything goes well, I want to finish my career in Philadelphia.”
He later tweeted,
— Sebastien Le Toux (@SebastienLeToux) December 7, 2012
The official press conference announcing Le Toux’s return will be streamed live on the Union website today at 10am.
SBI first broke news of the deal that was soon officially confirmed by the Union and New York. Earlier in the day, SBI reported that New York had secured the rights to the then out-of -contract Le Toux ahead of a trade deal.
More reports from the Union website, PSP, Philly.com, Delco Times, Union Tally, CSN Philly, Philly Soccer News, Brotherly Game, Union Dues, the Red Bulls website, New York Daily News, Big Apple Soccer, Empire of Soccer, Once a Metro, MLSsoccer.com, Sporting News, Soccer America, ProSoccerTalk, Goal.com, SB Nation, The Sports Network, the AP, and the Examiner.
Ryan Bright writes at CSN, “Off the field, the transaction will be a popular one. On the field, the move is curious for the Union, who are loaded with young talent up front.” He’s right, of course, but as Conor Grady wrote for PSP, “be grateful for what you have.” Enjoy the moment, remeber what it’s like to feel excited. And remember, this is the first offseason acquisition for 2013, not the last. Which leads to…
The Le Toux news broke shortly before Thursday’s 5pm trade blackout ahead of Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft Process, which will take place today at 3pm. Here’s the updated list of players available, which is smaller than the list that came out earlier this week because some players have made new deals with their clubs.. Trades can resume again after Stage 1 is complete until the second blackout next Thursday at 5pm ahead of Stage 2 of the Re-Entry process next Friday. Will the Union continue their offseason moves in Stage 1? We shall see, but it may just be that the dealing will begin after when negotiations for new contract terms can begin ahead of Stage 2.
Soccer Long Island Magazine has a Q&A with Zac MacMath. The Union goalkeeper stresses the trip to Everton was simply a training trip, says that he has had no contact with the USMNT, and his belief that the Union is heading in the right direction:
“I think they’ve got all the right ideas, and they’re starting to put everything in place. It’s a very young and inexperienced team, but they’ve got all the right pieces, and they’re starting to put it all together to become a very strong power, more or less, and I think that’s going to start this year with this new season, new coaching staff, a couple of new players. Everyone is just looking forward to being the team that we all want to be, being one of the best teams in the league.”
At Yanks Abroad, Brian Sciaretta has more information on Zach Pfeffer’s loan to Hoffenheim. “The plan is for him to begin playing with Hoffenheim’s U-19 team but quickly move up to the U-23 team Regionalliga which is one level below the senior team.” Sciaretta continues,
“Industry sources have confirmed to YA that Hoffenheim rate Pfeffer, a US U-18 international, highly and are interested on bringing him in for a full year. Due to FIFA rules, Hoffeneheim were never able make a push to sign Pfeffer permanently before he turned 18…Hoffenheim’s interest in taking Pfeffer on loan is for an extended look and should he impress in 2013, the club will be better prepared to make an offer for a transfer. There is no set option to buy on this loan and the Union has already exercised the club option for 2014 on Pfeffer’s contract.”
Tickets are still available for Saturday’s Help Kick Hunger event
Former Reading United players Ryan Finley (Notre Dame) and Jose Gomez (Creighton) are two of the three finalists for the MACC Hermann Trophy. Finley had earlier earned Big East Offensive Player of the Year honors while Gomez was named Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year.
At Goal.com, Kyle McCarthy has some picks of players that might be picked up in today’s Re-Entry draft.
The 2013 MLS SuperDraft will take place in Indianapolis on Jan. 17.
Sporting News has some interesting suggestions for how every MLS team should re-think its offseason plans.
Those rumors out of England that Arsenal are pushing for another Thierry Henry loan? A Red Bulls official says, “no club has made a request for a loan for any of our players.” So far, anyway.
MLS Talk wonders who the league should pursue to replace David Beckham as the new face of MLS.
The Queens Tribune has an extended report on the recent town hall meeting for the proposed stadium at Flushing Meadows Corona Park.
Clint Dempsey had a goal and an assist in Tottenham’s 3-1 win over Panathinaikos to advance to the round of 32 in the Europa League.
Stuart Holden has returned to first-team training with Bolton.
The ban on former FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam has been extended after an investigation into his financial affairs.
Romario, now a representative in Brazil’s congress, has secured enough signatures from fellow investigators to launch an investigation into alleged corruption at the Brazilian Football Confederation.