Philadelphia Union captain and center back Danny Califf sat in for Tuesday night’s recording of this week’s KYW-PSP podcast and gave a lengthy, candid and wide-ranging interview to hosts Greg Orlandini and Dan Walsh.
Califf opened up about his frustrations about the Union’s defensive struggles and talked about how he sometimes wishes the team had a more defensive philosophy, because the attacking mentality opens up holes that other teams exploit. He also chatted about:
- his optimism about the franchise and reasons for coming to Philly;
- Chris Seitz’s development (and why Califf thinks he’s close to being “the absolute man”);
- the team’s playoff chances;
- Union on-field tactics and personnel needs;
- rookie hazing in Mexico (or lack thereof?);
- the unique challenges of captaining an expansion team;
- the Philly mentality;
- how he takes it “personally” that the Union don’t have any clean sheets;
- and more.
Greg and Dan also talk about the Union’s recent stretch, the Philadelphia Independence’s terrific play, and the U.S. national team’s coach situation.